Saturday, December 14, 2013

Nursery is Done...all except for the baby!

    We have put all the finishing touches on the nursery and it is finally completed! All we need now, is the baby.  We certainly don't want to meet our little one yet, but we are getting closer and closer to that time.  I knew before even getting pregnant that I wanted to do a Dr. Seuss theme for the nursery, but didn't want the traditional red, white, and blue Cat in the Hat decor.

    After finding the furniture we liked I enlisted help from Casady (Doug's Cousin-she is awesome) to help me find some fabrics that would look good.  She is amazing and really helped steer my visions into reality!  I ended up ordering the fabrics online and making the bedding, curtains, and pillows myself, because I couldn't find anything in stores that I liked.  It took many hours of thinking, visualizing, cutting, ironing, and sewing, but it all came together and I couldn't be happier with it.

    We then had to find the final decorations and again Casady came through for me by printing the Dr. Seuss sayings and putting them in frames for me!  Doug had the last saying printed by Kness Signs and we hung it up this week.

    Everything really fell into place with the nursery and we just love it.  Sometimes I will just stand in the doorway, stare at the room, and try to picture what our lives are going to be like in just a few short weeks.  I can't ever seem to picture it :-)

    I am sure in a few years our new little one will want something completely different for his/ her room, maybe Dora, Thomas the Train, or the next latest Disney character, but for now the thought of having Dr. Seuss surrounding our little one is perfect! It takes me back to my childhood when my mom and dad would read to me each night before bed and Dr. Seuss was always a favorite (even though his books are really long and I think both my mom and dad skipped pages).

    It is crazy to think that we are at week 36 this week.  Only a few more to go. I have had people tell me that I look like I have "dropped," that I look "done," and that I could have this baby "today."  Everyone has an opinion I guess :-)  I am still feeling really good, although a few more "third trimester symptoms" have blessed me with their presence.  I am more tired and having trouble sleeping much more than a few hours at a time, which is all just cruel practice to get me ready for a newborn, I am sure!  I have experienced some heartburn lately (can you overdose on Tums?!), but other than that I really feel great.

   I will have to say that this baby is going to run out of room very soon. There are times he/she will kick and it feels like it's in my back, throat, or ribs.  Supposedly (according to BabyCenter.com) he/she is over 18 1/2 inches long and weighs close to 6 pounds.  I have my next appointment on Tuesday, where I will do my Group B strep test and make sure everything looks/sounds good for the coming weeks.

    I am always so busy writing about myself and the new baby that I forget to update you on anything else.  Not that much is new besides getting ready for the new baby :-)  Holidays are just around the corner, we have our first of many Christmases tomorrow with my step-mom's side of the family.  We are excited to spend Christmas Eve with Doug's side and then Christmas day with my mom's side. Doug has been busy with working, helping me run errands and get ready for the baby, and his weekly hockey game.  He scored his first goal two weeks ago and it was pretty cool!  He was really excited and I was glad I was there to see it!  He has team pictures and a game tomorrow afternoon as well.



How far along: 36 weeks
Sleep: I sleep for a few hours and then wake up to go to the bathroom. I lay awake for 1/2 hour-hour at a few different points during the night.  Again just cruel practice for the newborn coming!
Best Moment this week: My mom had her 6 month check up and remains cancer free.  With Christmas coming up, what better gift could I ask for!?  Now she is down to yearly check-ups! Way to go Mom (Grandma).
Miss Anything: Anything that involves bending over-it is really hard to pick things up and I swear I drop things more often now than ever before!
Movement: It's coming from every direction now!
Food Cravings: Woody's Smoke Shack (craving satisfied-it was yummy) and some hot chocolate (I plan on getting some tonight while we drive around to look at Christmas lights)
Gender:  It's funny because this week alone I had 4 people tell me they think it's a boy.  Doug has now confidently switched to the "girl" camp, but I am still sitting in no-man's-land right in the middle going back and forth depending on the day.
Labor Signs: nothing so far
Symptoms: heartburn, not sleeping, a giant belly, it's pretty hard to miss the fact that I am pregnant :-)
Wedding Rind on or off?:  Off for now.  I can still slip on my ring if I have to, but I would say from here on out I will probably just wear my cheap Pandora ring :-)
Belly Button in or out: In -but I don't have much time left before I get an "outie"
Happy or Moody most of the time: Happy- I am so excited for what's coming and really trying to enjoy every minute of this pregnancy. I have a feeling I am going to miss being pregnant and feeling the baby move inside of me!
Looking forward to: Christmas!




This is the bassinet the baby will sleep in for a while in our room .
This is the nursery (it's a little dark sorry
Our glider with the home-made pillows and baby's new stuffed elephant
The little bench seat with some of baby's soon-to-be favorite books.


Crib with saying and elephant above it

Look at all that amazing bedding :-)

Saying and Elephant above the crib.  A person's a person no matter how small. -Dr. Seuss
Dresser with sayings above it (the "S" in the orange picture frame stands for "skeeterbug" which is Aunt Sherrie's nickname for the new baby.  It has nothing to do with the baby's real name, girl or boy)
Perfect gray and white lamp





Sayings above the dresser (thanks Casady).  "Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you."  "You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss

35 weeks
36 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment