Monday, June 3, 2013

The best sound in the world...

Think about it: we hear a lot of sounds in a day.
Our alarm clock waking us up in the morning.
The daily weather and news around the world.
Phones ringing, cupboards slamming, birds chirping, kids playing, dogs barking.
Maybe your favorite new song on the radio (Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit- ok maybe not my favorite song, but Blake Shelton is kind of catchy).

But then today among all the sounds of this world, Doug and I were able to hear the best sound ever....the beating heart of our little peanut.  We went in for our 8-week ultrasound today and I had told Doug that I didn't think we would hear the heart beat because we we still so early in the pregnancy.  Our doctor started doing the ultrasound and confirmed we were pregnant with just one baby (both Doug and I had had dreams of twins) and then she turned up the volume and we heard it.  Fast, steady, powerful.  A sound that could take you to your knees (and would have if I hadn't been laying on a table).  Instantly I was crying, almost enough that it muffled "the sound." I tried holding in my cries just so I could concentrate on the little peanut saying hello to his Mama and Papa for the first time!  I knew he was there, I knew he was healthy, but seeing him and hearing him today was overwhelming!

I am so grateful to have heard that sound and can't wait for more times when we can see and hear our little peanut!  We, of course, asked all kinds of questions and I was given a prescription for folic acid (to take in addition to my prenatal vitamin) to help with any neural tube defects.

We walked out of that office different people; we walked out as parents. It finally seems a little more real.


How far along: 8 weeks (and two days)
Maternity clothes? Not yet... but I have been looking online at sale maternity clothes
Sleep: Minimal because I spend more time in the bathroom than in bed!
Best moment this week: Of course today-hearing the heartbeat!

Miss Anything? A Blue Moon or Summer Shandy beer.  I am not much of a drinker, but this nice warm weather makes me want to drink a beer and sit on our deck :-)  Oh well, I think it's a pretty good trade off!
Movement: not yet-can't wait for that to happen!
Food cravings:  Fruit!
Anything making you queasy or sick: Still not 100%, but I feel a lot better than I did two weeks ago!
Gender: Well I always refer to the baby as a him, but not necessarily because I think it will be a boy. That's just what comes out :-)
Labor Signs: no
Symptoms: Not really now!
Belly Button in or out? In
Wedding rings on or off? On 

Happy or Moody most of the time: HAPPY!
Looking forward to: getting a bump

No comments:

Post a Comment