Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Birthday to Remember

My 26th Birthday...I couldn't have asked for anything better.


   Doug and I had decided that April was our month to start trying for a baby.  About 7 months ago we decided we were going to start trying this spring, which was about a year earlier that our "original plan."  We were excited to be able to surprise all of our friends and family with our big news. The week after I thought I ovulated I was so tired, and I remember telling Doug, "If I'm not pregnant then I think something is wrong with me, because I am so tired."  I had planned to wait until May 3 to take a home pregnancy test, because then I would only have to wait a week to tell my mom at Mother's day that I was pregnant.  
   Well I woke up on my birthday, Monday, April 29th and decided that I would take a home pregnancy test, but I had even told myself not to be disappointed when it came back negative and that I would test again at the end of the week.  I did the test and was waiting the three minutes when I noticed a faint pink line showing up.  I started freaking out, because I had read that even a faint line means your pregnant.  I stood in shock for a few seconds, really expecting to see only one pink line instead of two!  
   I started bawling so I walked into our closet so that I wouldn't wake Doug up.  I couldn't stop crying and I couldn't wait another second to tell Doug.  I walked over and shook him awake; he sat up startled and worried because I was still bawling.  He asked, "Honey, what's wrong?"  I answered, "I'm pregnant," and crawled back into bed with him.  He asked if I was sad and I said, "No I just can't stop crying, because I didn't really expect it to happen."  
    I finished getting ready for school and Doug came down and ate breakfast with me where we decided that I couldn't keep this secret from my mom for another two weeks.  We decided to go out to Panora that night for dinner and tell her then.  Doug went to Hobby Lobby and got a canvas and paint because I wanted to tell her by giving her a canvas that said "The only thing better than having you for a mom is my children having you for a grandma."  I got home from school to paint the canvas, pack up some things we had bought for the baby (thing 2 shirt- Carly's thing one shirt, picture frame, etc.)
   We left for Panora and I was so anxious.  I had been keeping this secret for so long that we would start trying and within an hour my mom would know! I couldn't wait to see her reaction.  I was hoping it would totally blindside her.  
   I couldn't have asked for a better reaction from my mom. Her face was priceless and her hug was the best.  The fact that she cried (really cried) was amazing.  We got part of it on video, but I know that even without that video I will never get her reaction out of my memories! It was worth the seven months of keeping it a secret!
   We told Doug's family last night which was so exciting!  Can't wait to add another kiddo to the bunch :-)  We will tell my dad, step mom, and sisters tomorrow.  We will tell my grandma, grandpa, aunts, and uncles next week.  
   I am so excited to start telling everyone, although we will wait a few more weeks. 
   When I am older I know I will look back on my 26th birthday with nothing but smiles and happiness.  It is one I won't forget.....



No comments:

Post a Comment